REVISED DATE: 09/2018
REPORTS TO: Director of Education
STATUS: Non-exempt, part-time seasonal (September 10 – November 2 with the opportunity to stay on with reduced hours in the off-season.)
As a team member of Heritage Hill State Historical Park, you will help build a positive working environment as well as inspire, transform and build our community through exceptional cultural and historic experiences. Under the general supervision of the Park’s Director of Education, Fall Field Trips Historical Interpreter provides principle support and assures seamless functioning of the Education Department.
The following are essential job accountabilities:
Purpose: The Fall Field Trips Historical Interpreter will communicate the regional history of Green Bay, northeast Wisconsin, and to some extent, broader areas of history to diverse school-age audiences using various techniques, including hands-on activities. The Historical Interpreter will improve their own teaching approaches and strategies, knowledge of history, and communication skills through training, research, and practice. The Historical Interpreter contributes to the overall mission and vision of Heritage Hill State Historical Park.
- Provide exceptional customer service to visitors in accordance with the mission of
Heritage Hill State Historical Park and department goals.
- Participate in training of current and new educational programming throughout the park.
- Demonstrate living history activities related to educational programs, which may include: crafts, gardening, marching, preparing food, and storytelling.
- Conduct and lead the living history activities of Heritage Hill’s educational programs according to prescribed instructional methods, guidelines, and standards.
- Perform housekeeping duties in historical and reproduction buildings including sweeping, dusting, and various other tasks.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE AND ABILITIES:
- Be a self-starter and able to work without supervision.
- Be able to take initiative in problem solving in a fast-paced work environment.
- Be highly organized with great attention to detail.
- Meet deadlines while retaining flexibility.
- Be a cooperative team member.
- Possess strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Be willing to perform duties as assigned.
- Communicate effectively with adults and children.
- Feel comfortable wearing period clothing.
The Length of Appointment: Seasonal; September 10-November 2 with the opportunity to stay on with reduced hours in the off-season.
Time Commitment: Varies; Fall Field Trips Historical Interpreters are scheduled as schools book programs
Qualifications: Must have an interest in history; persons with a high school diploma or equivalent preferred.
Support: This position is trained by the Education Department, including the Director of Education and other Historic Interpreters.
Age Requirement: 18 years of age or older
Dress Code: Period clothing (most items provided by Heritage Hill)