The Village of Allouez is looking for substitute school crossing guards to work morning and/or afternoon shifts. This position is responsible for providing for the safe movement of children and other pedestrians to and from school when crossing public roadways, intersections and roundabouts by stopping traffic and leading the children across the roadway or intersection. Starting wage is $11.60/hr. For more information, call the Village Hall at (920) 448-2800 or visit our website: www.villageofallouez.com.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Assists students and other pedestrians for the purpose of providing safe access to and from school.
- Watch for gaps in traffic and walk children and other pedestrians across the roadway, intersection or roundabout while holding a “stop” sign in such a manner as to be visible to approaching vehicles.
- Assists other crossing guards as may be required for the purpose of supporting them in the completion of their work activities.
- Checks surroundings for unsafe situations, reports them to supervisor.
- Develops positive relationships with students, school faculty and other pedestrians.
- Reports observations and /or incidents relating to specific students (accidents, fights, inappropriate social behavior, violation of rules, etc.) for the purpose of communicating information for follow up by appropriate instructional and /or administrative personnel.
- Reports all incidents involving a vehicle/driver and crossing guard to their supervisor or officer, if needed, and fills out an incident sheet.
- Regular and prompt attendance is required.
- Must have a High School diploma or its equivalent and shall be in a physical condition that will permit adequate job performance.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Basic knowledge of current Wisconsin traffic laws and how to handle emergency situations.
- Ability to communicate effectively, follow written and verbal instructions and work effectively with children, parents, school employees and Village staff.
- Ability to organize, schedule, prioritize and perform work with limited or no supervision and accurately complete assignments within limited timelines.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships, communicate effectively and deal with the public, elected officials, school employees and other Village employees with courtesy and tact.
- Able to process confidential information with discretion.
- Responsibility for the care, condition and use of materials, equipment and tools of the job.
- Skill in the operation of equipment needed to perform the duties of the position, including whistles, vests, hand held stop signs, traffic cones and traffic devices as needed.
- The usual and customary methods of performing the job’s functions require the following physical demands: some lifting, carrying, pushing and/or pulling; significant finger dexterity. Job is performed outside and is subject to exposure to the elements; heat, cold and wet conditions; job involves walking and standing for long periods of time; job is subject to exposure to environmental and/or physical hazards.
- Daily interaction with children, parents, residents and vehicle operators, occasional interaction with supervisors, Village staff and police.
Interested applicants should submit an application to:
Mike Lauder, Code Enforcement Officer
Allouez Village Hall
1900 Libal Street
Green Bay, WI 54301