Veterans Day (originally known as Armistice Day) is a federal holiday in the United States observed annually on November 11, for honoring military veterans, that is, persons who have served in the United States Armed Forces.
It coincides with other holidays including Armistice Day and Remembrance Day which are celebrated in other countries that mark the anniversary of the end of World War I.
Veterans Day is distinct from Memorial Day, a U.S. public holiday in May. Veterans Day celebrates the service of all U.S. military veterans, while Memorial Day honors those who had died while in military service.
Another military holiday that also occurs in May, Armed Forces Day, honors those currently serving in the U.S. military.
Ten Ideas on How You Can Help Veterans & Thank Them For Their Service:
1. Write a check to one or more of the many veterans organizations offering help and support to veterans and their families.
2. Donate your frequent-flyer miles to the Fisher House Foundation’s Hero Miles Program, which helps family members be close to the bedsides of loved ones who were injured.
3. Offer your time and talent to a local veterans group.
4. Bring in a Veteran to speak to your church group or other organization.
5. If you’re a business owner or manager, hire a veteran!
6. Hire a Military Spouse or Caregiver.
7. If you’re a lawyer, Donate your Pro Bono hours to a program supporting veterans in need – through your state bar association.
8. Earmark your charitable donations, when possible, to support programs and services supporting veterans.
9. If you prefer to focus on grass roots efforts, support and interact with organizations such as the Veteran Success Resource Group.
10. Patronize Veteran-owned businesses whenever possible.
The Green Bay News Network Salutes All of Our Veterans and Their Families!